Re: fastest access to oracle database

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:49:10 +0100

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 08:07:11 -0800, abdoul85 <abdoul85_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>hello,
>I have to replace old and slow RDO in Visual Basic Application.
>What is the fastest and most effective way to do this ?
>
>Is oo4o a good suggestion ? Or maybe something different ?
>
>what is the difference between OCI and oo4o ?
>
>thanks a lot for any help
>greetings

OCI = Oracle Call Interface. It is the lowest level API written in C to get access to an Oracle database.
It probably can be called from VB, but it is completely different from RDO.
OO4O (Oracle Objects for OLE) is more less akin to RDO, however newer interfaces are OleDB and ODP .NET. Tutorials for all of those interfaces are on http://otn.oracle.com, hit Tutorials on the OTN home page.

--

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA