Re: Inserting binary data to an column

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:28:44 +0100

Micha schrieb:
> Hi,
> i want to make a proof of concept about handling "binary data".
> Background:
> I want to get a binary decription (or hex etc) of a data stored in an
> column. Later i want to insert this binary/hex etc data directly in a column
> (by code in plsql).
> If i can make this, imable to insert any data intependent from its data
> type.
>
> Questions:
> 1. How can i get the right data representation (binary/hex etc for later
> insert)?
> 2. What are the correct statements to insert this data representation?
>
> For example:
> the hex representation of 'Technical Writer' is
> '546563686e6963616c20577269746572'
>
> so i want to get the hex number and later i want to insert it (and the
> database (i my case Oracle 10g) understand it as 'Technical Writer'
>
> Greets
>
> Micha

*REAL* programmers use COPY CON to create Windows apps. http://www.kyphilom.com/www/comtags.html

If you are able to insert any data independent from its data type, what do you think you gain except scratching your database? Why bother with inserts anyway, maybe, write hex stream directly into datafiles could be worth to consider ?

Seriously, your *concept* seems fully cranky to me, you've better spent your time with learning database concepts, it would probably give you an immediate gain instead an imaginary.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Tue Nov 06 2007 - 04:28:44 CST