Re: OUI and >30 character kernel names

From: Brian Tkatch <N/A>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:55:41 -0400

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:45:13 -0700, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> wrote:

>On Oct 29, 12:05 pm, Brian Tkatch <N/A> wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:04:00 -0400, Brian Tkatch <N/A> wrote:
>> >Oracle 9.2
>>
>> >While trying to install the Oracle client on a server, the team got an
>> >error. Searching for this error on google found the following where
>> >someone hit the same error:
>> ><URL:http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2007/04/18/dont-install-oracle-on-l...>.
>>
>> >Basically, if the kernel name has more than 30 characters, the OUI
>> >will crash. We're using both SLES8 and SLES9 (SUSE installs). On the
>> >SLES 8 servers we're fine: $ uname -r |wc
>> > 1 1 19
>> >as it only has 18 chars, and indeed the OUI worked there. The failing
>> >server is SLES9: $ uname -r | wc
>> > 1 1 43
>> >and the 42 character kenel name is ostensibly causing the issue.
>>
>> >Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround other than recompiling
>> >the kernel?
>>
>> >B.
>>
>> Oops, silly me, relying on a web page an not giving the actual error:
>>
>> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (normal): 0x0806fbd0
>> ***
>> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (normal): 0x0806fd40
>> ***
>>
>> B.- Hide quoted text -

>Brian, Besides Kevin's blog entry on this problem if there is anywhere
>else where a post on this issue may be found (my metalink search
>turned up nothing) it might be in the Oracle-L archives available via
>freelists.org.
>
>HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Thanx for looking. Searching for "glibc detected" on Oracle-L <URL:http://www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/archive-search.fcgi?query=glibc+detected&list=oracle-l> came up with nothing. Though, glibc shows up a few times, seems to be as a requirement check or the like.

Is it possible to just copy the client files from a box with it already installed to the new box? We're on Linux and it's just for sqlldr (and the client itself).

B. Received on Tue Oct 30 2007 - 08:55:41 CDT