Re: Help with Tomcat & Oracle on localhost

From: Henner Hucke <henner.hucke_at_nospam.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:26:30 +0200

BikRboy schrieb:
> Hello!
>
> My shop recently relocated our Oracle 10g instance to a new box.
> Since, this action, I can no longer run JSP's from my local host
> (Windows XP) running the Tomcat 5.5.17 web server that came with
> NetBeans 5.5.1.
>
> However, the JSP's do connect to Oracle and run as they should on the
> HP UNIX host.
>
> I was able to compile my JSP code using NetBeans on my local host and
> run it with Tomcat prior to the migration. I am using the J2EE 1.4
> framework.
>
> This is an extract of the error I get in Tomcat:
>
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Exception in JSP: /gtc_ord.jsp:43
>
> 40: ResultSetMetaData rsmd;
> 41:
> 42: try {
> 43: Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");
> 44: conn = DriverManager.getConnection(dbConn,
> "userName", "passWord");
> 45:
> 46: S = conn.createStatement();
>
> When the above code runs on the Oracle Application Server, it is
> successful. Data is pulled from the database and the page displays as
> it should.
>
> Actions Taken:
> --------------------
> 1. Classpath: Unchanged on the local host.
>
> 2. TNSNAMES.ORA: I can connect to Oracle using the NetBeans SQL Editor
> & TOAD. They use the same TNSNAMES.ORA file. Addtionally, I can
> successfully TNSPING the listener from the DOS prompt.
>
> 3. Library: According to the Oracle documentation, I need to include
> this JAR file ---- ORAI18N.JAR. Although, I did not need it before I
> have added this JAR file to the "WEB-INF/lib" path.
>
> 4. Cleaned, rebuilt, and redeployed the project.
>
> Does anyone out there have any ideas?
>
> I prefer to develop code locally before deploying it to the UNIX
> server. This used to work.
>
> Thank you, --- Mark

Hello Mark,

in addition what you already did, I would also write a small java test program only to see that it can connect to the database using the same parameters as you are using in the .jsp. If I run an app on my local tomcat to connect to remote databases I normally get an error stack including the ORA error number at the top of it. It would help to find the reason for your problem if we see the error stack.

Henner Received on Wed Oct 24 2007 - 13:26:30 CDT