Re: Processing batches, requesting comments with sqlldr and preapred UPDATes.

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:55:09 -0500

Brian Tkatch wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:02:47 -0500, Brian Peasland
> <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote:
>

>> Have you looked at External Tables? This is available in Oracle 9i.
>> External Tables use the same SQL*Loader engine so you get the same
>> speed. And you can do a simple INSERT..SELECT to read the External
>> Table's contents and populate your (internal) table.

> The files to be loaded are usually in the thousands. If i just read it
> correctly, the files must be mentioned in the DDL statement
> itself.That would not be possible, especially since the list files is
> still growing, and we could not get a change like that into production
> quickly enough.
>
> Or is the filelist variable?
>
> B.

The filelist is not variable. However, you can use the ALTER TABLE command to point the External Table to a different file:

ALTER TABLE my_external_tab LOCATION (directoryname:'fileName');

Or something like that.......

Another solution is to write some shell script to combine your multiple text files into one large text file. This works if the columns are all the same for each file...

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net