Re: Visio and Oracle?

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:47:33 +0200

"Henrootje" <HenroV_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht news:1193132330.337060.160580_at_i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>I did not say that Visio is free. I am legally using Visio, that is
> why I wanted to use it.
> I am doing a degree in ICT (Bachelor of ICT) besides my job. One of
> the courses is desiging databases. That is why I want to analyze
> existing database structures.
> But according to the reactions here Visio is not the right tool to do
> this.
> Then I have to look for an alternative but budget is limited. I hoped
> there would be some tool(s) I could use to help me analyse existing
> databases.
> If you know of any good tools, I would like to know which those would
> be. Maybe I can find some student licensing program.
> But since I just started things do no t need to be overly complicated.
> Is there anything you can point me too?
>
> TIA, Henro
>

> On 22 okt, 17:40, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>> Henrootje wrote:
>> > It is Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production.
>>
>> > I understand Visio is not very good for the tasks I mentioned. Maybe
>> > suggestions for other free toils?
>> > Preferably a tool that can talk to MySQL as wel......
>>
>> > TIA,
>>
>> > Henro

>> Visio is free?
>>
>> There are no good free tools that do ERDs. There are a lot of lousy
>> tools that do a poor job and only with basic object and column types.
>> If you want something decent you will need to open your wallet.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

Henrootje,

please do not top post, some people around here don't like that (I couldn't care less though).

Since you are a student, and don't have to use the tools commercially, you could use Oracle Designer. It's free for you..... but installing and using it isn't very straight forward.

Shakespeare Received on Tue Oct 23 2007 - 07:47:33 CDT