Re: Multiple datasets in one dataset

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:03:16 -0700

On Oct 19, 1:08 am, roman.moroku..._at_googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> > Please let us know which exact version and platform you are using.
>
> Oracle 10g on Windows
>
> > There are some outer join bugs, but not generally on anything this
> > simple AFAIK.
>
> Well, I understand.
>
> > Are you seeing your cpu pegged?
>
> No. I did not look on the server yet. The client gets in a time out
> after a while. So it looks like Oracle never returns.
>
> > Do you know how to check for wait states with Oracle?
>
> No. Please tell me.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/instance_tune.htm#PFGRF02410

There are also some 3rd party books. Cary Milsap has a good one.

It's also worthwhile to trace to find out exactly what is going wrong with a particular SQL. Plenty online about that, including this groups archives. http://www.psoug.org/reference/trace_analyzer.html

> > Anything else going wrong, errors in the alert log?
>
> Did not look at it yet. Will have to soon.
>

>Oracle 10g 10.0.2.1.0 on Windows 2003 64 bit
>No patch so far installed.

You probably want to look into dealing with that.

Just for grins, maybe you should check and see if you get a different answer using the ANSI syntax for joins.

Example (from metalink Note:137286.1):

    This query returns rows from the departments table even if no employees are

    assigned to it.

    SELECT employee_id, department_name
    FROM departments d
    LEFT OUTER JOIN employees e
    ON (e.department_id= d.department_id);

This is equivalent to the following pre-Oracle9i outer join notation:

    SELECT employee_id, department_name
    FROM departments d, employees e
    WHERE e.department_id(+) = d.department_id;

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I'd like to see a 'Bagpipe Heroes'" -