Re: Visio and Oracle?

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:34:16 -0700

On 18 Okt., 17:21, Henrootje <Hen..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how I can reverse engineer an Oracle database from
> Visio Professional 2003?
>
> I am running a Oracle 9 database, just installed the 10g Oracle Client
> on Vista but I simply cannot connect....
>
> Oracle keeps whining about the tnsnames.ora file which it keeps
> telling me it can't parse.................
>
> Suggestions?

If I remember correctly you need to create ODBC connection and use it for VISIO.
However my experience with VISIO was absolute failure. Stupid tool, cannot understand simple constructions (were they arcs, connnot remember on the spot), has various editions (professional, enterprise, probably more), you'll never know which to use, one of them could reverse engineer but copuld not generate scripts (BAHHH!!!!), creating diagrams there isn't possibility to resize tables (or at least I could not find it), overall net conclusion for me was - if one has 3 tables with 2 realationships and few columns then probably this tool is OK ;)

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu Received on Thu Oct 18 2007 - 13:34:16 CDT