Re: Time series deletion performance

From: <peter_at_alum.wpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:25:34 -0700

On Oct 12, 3:21 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2:03 pm, pe..._at_alum.wpi.edu wrote:
>
> > I am storing timestamps as numbers, because that's how it was when I
> > inherited the db. I hadn't considered that to be an issue.
>
> > I'm unable to find the post you are referring to by Jonathan Lewis.
>
> > On the issue you refer to with 00 coming after 59, I assume the
> > problem you describe is with leading zeros being omitted. We are
> > storing the number of milliseconds since 1970 and won't be susceptable
> > to a leading zero issue for a couple hundred years.
>
> > Also, we are running on Oracle 10g.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Peter
>
> I wonder how you're generating those values.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

We are using a java application to populate the timestamp when an xml message comes into the web app. Java will easily provide the number of millis since epoch (jan 1, 1970). It would be innacurate to use the db current_timestamp anyways, since we queue up 10,000s of requests and write them to the db in bulk periodically.

-Peter Received on Fri Oct 12 2007 - 14:25:34 CDT