Re: Oracle performance

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:23:48 -0700

On Oct 11, 7:52 am, rog..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> On Oct 11, 9:12 am, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:

> > > Did you put a brick on the brakes?
>
> > > --
> > > Sybrand Bakker
> > > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> > Geez, the reason is obvious:
>
> > The atmospheric conditions in Zimbabwe no longer favor blue, two-door
> > vehicles, therefore all such vehicles in Duluth will be travel slower.
>
> > David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

> What has the operating system go to do with this??????? What has the
> code go to do with this?????? Even if I give you this info will you
> be able to tell me why its so slow????

Couldn't hurt.

If you have metalink access, put this in the knowledge browser: performance tuning

See http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm#subj12 See
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_thread/thread/79803d55e73cb4f3/cdb2736f7c72d945?lnk=st&q=#cdb2736f7c72d945

There are also obscure things that can happen, for example, you might have just crossed over a boundary condition that caused the optimizer to do something differently, you might be running two updates that are pounding into each other, you might be suffering from bind variable peeking (for example, the first time you ran it there were only a limited number of rows to update, so the optimizer picked a certain plan, then the next update had a much different data set which made that plan the wrong one to choose), you might have done something to the statistics, someone else might have done something to lock things up for a while, you might have a bogus version, adding one more user pushed you to swapping, you might be running in degraded RAID-5 while disks rbuild, etc. etc. Some of those things are version-, hardware-, or OS dependent.

If actually figuring out the problem is too much work, just blame the network.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Happiness is not funny." - Charles Schultz