Installing 9i client on Windows 2003 Server

From: <dn.perl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:46:42 -0700

I had installed Oracle 10g client on Windows 2003 Server. Today I uninstalled it and tried to install 9i client. But setup.exe does not run. Some links on the internet suggest that Data Execution Prevention feature of Windows prevents setup.exe from running. I specified setup.exe as 'okay to run' program in Control Panel > Systems > Advanced > etc etc > Data Execution Prevention page, and I tried to run setup.exe. But it still won't run.

Then I deleted the entry for 10g client in the Registry. But 9i client's setup.exe still won't run.

I tried to install Oracle Universal Installer, but to unzip or 'un'jar the jar file isn't very straightforward, and I have right now given up onthat attempt. At any rate, 10gclient was installed by OUI, so probably OUI is probably in place in 10g tree, and I may try to locate it, and use it to run 9i client's setup.exe .

But, to begin with, 9i client is supposed to be available for : "Oracle9i Database Release 2 Client for Microsoft Windows 98/2000/NT/ XP" as per Oracle's download page. There is no mention of Windows 2003 Server in that list. So I am wondering whether 9i client works on Windows 2003 in the first place.

I need to use 9i client because 10i client is not running smoothly with a 9i server installed on a linux server. Please advise. Received on Mon Oct 08 2007 - 17:46:42 CDT