Re: Tip from mr. D.K. Burleson

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:35:50 -0700

Gints Plivna wrote:

> On 27 Sept., 11:47, Helma <helma.vi..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Hello fellow DBA's,
>>
>> I've read a article from Burleson where he's an enthusiast about solid
>> state disks:
>>
>> " It's important for all Oracle professionals to learn about solid-
>> state disk to understand how I/O bottlenecks will soon become a thing
>> of the past. "
>>
>> and
>>
>> "The ancient platter-based disks from the 1960's will soon join paper
>> tape and punched cards in the annals of IT history. "
>>
>> " In my reproducible benchmarks of SSD vs. platter disks, the response
>> time benefits of using SSD with Oracle are amazing with blistering
>> speeds that result in up to a 300x speed improvement. "
>>
>> ( full read athttp://www.dba-oracle.com/t_flash_disk_drives_ssd_ram_san.htm
>> )
>>
>> He doesn't mention any drawback to this SSD. Does anyone here has
>> experience with this SSD , and is it as big as mr Burleson says?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Helma

Don's enthusiasm is misplaced. The major drawback today is cost. By the time the cost gets down to "reasonable" the quantity of data will have grown to make up for it.

The history of our industry is one in which people who think the correct answer to a problem is to throw hardware at it have been proven wrong again and again and again. This likely will be just another example.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington