Re: Query Question -- Query Using Monthly Data

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:27:46 -0700

Smitty wrote:
> Hello everyone. I currently have a simple table, DAILY, containing
> various daily transactions. The table has a date column, transaction
> 1, transaction2, transaction3 etc. Example:
>
> DATE Transaction1 Transaction2 Transaction3
> 1-1-2007 5 3 1
> 1-13-2007 3 7 9
> 1-17-2007 6 2 4
> 2-3-2007 5 3 1
> 3-10-2007 5 3 1
>
> I need to grab the data from the DAILY table, and insert the sum of
> all transactions for each month into a MONTHLY table, so I will have:
>
> DATE Transaction1 Transaction2 Transaction3
> 2007-01 14 12 14
> 2007-02 5 3 1
> 2007-03 5 3 1
>
> I am very new to SQL, so I am not sure if this is simple or not.
> Thanks very much in advance.

Your design is the worst possible in a relational database and violates the rules of normalization.

A well designed table would look like this:

DATE      TRANSACTION#    VALUE
2007-01         1           14
2007-01         2           12
2007-01         3           14
2007-02         1            5
2007-02         2            3
2007-02         3            1
2007-03         1            5
2007-03         2            3
2007-03         3            1

With a proper design you should find writing queries far easier.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington