Re: Can't connect to Oracle using MSDAORA OLE DB provider

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 07:53:57 -0700

On Sep 18, 10:07 am, Jojo <jojoh..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 8, 6:58 pm, Brian Peasland <d..._at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote:
> > Jojo wrote:
> > > We use 10.2 client + xp. It works on one 3 years old Dell computer but
> > > it does not work on a new Lenovo computer. Just do not know which
> > > change causes this problem.
>
> > Which version of XP? If anything other than XP Professional, then that
> > might be the cause of your problem....
>
> > HTH,
> > Brian
>
> > --
>
> > Brian Peasland
> > d...@nospam.peasland.nethttp://www.peasland.net

> It is XP Professional Ver. 2002 Service Pack 2.
> This problem is still unsolved. We are frustrated here. Any new ideas?

You will want to make certain that you have the latest version of MDAC:
  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/data/aa937730.aspx

Note that Microsoft stopped distributing a wide variety of drivers in the more recent MDAC releases, so I usually install MDAC 1.5 on new client computers in addition to MDAC 2.8. You might want to switch to using the OraOLEDB provider, rather than the Microsoft supplied driver. The ConnectionString changes from: "Provider=MSDAORA.1;User ID=MyUsername;Password=MyPassword;Data Source=MySID"
-to-
"Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;User ID=MyUsername;Password=MyPassword;Data Source=MySID"

Also, you will need to perform a Custom install of the Oracle 10.2 client so that the necessary driver files are copied to the client computer.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Tue Sep 18 2007 - 09:53:57 CDT