extract and strip out last name combined name column

From: jobs <jobs_at_webdos.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:16:16 -0700

I'm on oracle 9i and don't have regex functionality in plsql.

How can I strip out and set a persons last name from a column .

I have a column name that will contain names like

John L. Hubbard
John Doe
Maria Conchita Alonso

i'd like the name colum to now contain

John L.
John
Maria Conchita

and the lastname column to contain

Hubbard
Doe
Alonso

Thanks for any help or information Received on Wed Sep 12 2007 - 22:16:16 CDT