Re: RMAN Log Analyzer

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:59:51 -0500

Kake.gdp_at_gmail.com wrote:

>> Prepare yourself for disappointment.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

> Yeah I do...
>
> Well I did one little grep script and now got atleast the full backup
> time. That would include backup and validation.
> 2004 avg backuptime was ~ 4 hours 20 min
> 2007 avg is 37 hour 45 min and peak is 42 hours
>
> Problems 15 since Feb 07, caused by file being used by File Backup
> which is asumed reason for carshing the validation. Without validation
> files backed to tape are not removed thus making the drive full.
>
> Now I don't know how much more data this would be. But avg filebackup
> in 2004 was 100+ GB now it is 600+ GB
> Now that I know atleast some facts. I can ask money for example
> checking the network to see if it no longer can support such traffic.

So in 2004 you had 100GB backed up in 4 hours 20 mins. That turns out to be about 25GB/hour.

In 2007, you are backing up 600GB in 37 hours 45 mins. This turns out to be about 16GB/hour.

I'm not sure of your exact hardware configuration, but neither throughput number looks great to me. Have you looked at the RMAN documentation on tuning RMAN for better performance? Have you implemented incremental backups? Are you constantly backing up READ ONLY tablespaces?

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net