Re: Microsoft Data Link Error

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:56:51 -0500

dean wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> 10.2.0.1.0 / Windows XP Pro SP2
>
> I am getting an error in opening an ADO connection to Oracle 10g using
> the above client. Here is the message:
>
> Microsoft Data Link Error:
> "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.
> Oracle error occurred, but the error message could not be retreived
> from Oracle."
>
> The other people here suspect this is a MDAC issue, which has been
> solved in the past by re-installing this component of Windows.
> However, this version of windows already has SP2 installed, and it
> won't allow the MDAC componnents to be re-installed.
>
> Does anyone have any further light they could shed on this particula
> problem? There is a mention of the MS providers NOT working on the
> latest versions of the client, so we could unistall the current client
> and install 10.1 instead.

Try connecting to the database with SQL*Plus. If you are unsuccessful, SQL*Plus will show you error messages indicating the cause of the problem.

If you cannot connect with SQL*Plus, then this is most like an issue with the MS software you are using and not the Oracle database.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net