Re: Can't connect to Oracle using MSDAORA OLE DB provider

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:32:35 -0700

On Sep 6, 6:10 pm, Jojo <jojoh..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> When use MS OLE oracle driver to connect to Oracle, I got the error
> "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.
> Oracle error occurred, but the error message could not be retreived
> from Oracle."
>
> I have noticed that smeone had the same problem back to 2000. Does
> anyone know a solution for this problem?
>
> Thanks.

There are many potential causes of this problem. You can find information on how to set up and debug a linked database to Oracle on the Microsoft SQL Server web site.

Some things that have to be set:
You must have an Oracle client installed on the SQL Server platform

You must have configured tnsnames.ora

You must reference the correct tnsname.ora service name (alias) in the lined db

You must set up the correct security context in the link and depending on this setup you must provide a valid Oracle username and password

MS DTC must be configured

Artice: How to Troubleshoot a linked server to an Oracle database in SQL Server article id: 280106 (formerly Q280106) may be of interest.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Sep 07 2007 - 09:32:35 CDT