Re: Triggers v Referential keys

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:42:34 +0200

"Robert Mullen" <rwbmullen_at_hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:Xns999D8D0C169E6rmullenathotmaildotc_at_192.87.166.16...
> Our company is about to purchase a product based on Oracle 10x. Strange
> thing is, there are no Referential Keys declared at all, only Triggers.
>
> Is this standard procedure in Oracle? Can Referential Keys be totaly
> substituted by Triggers? Would that be wise?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Have seen this in some Oracle Designer built applications (although the keys were there, all integrity was enforced by triggers). Applications were generated with CDM Ruleframe. All business rules were modelled through triggers, and when I say all, I mean ALL and MORE of them. Any rule they could make up was modelled in triggers.

The transaction problems were overcome by a transaction system within Ruleframe. Applications performed very badly, and maintenance and support is nearly impossible.
Claimed advantage was multiple error messages in one message (like Phone number incorrect, Date format incorrect, Men can not be pregnant etc), so users could fill a form, push the button and got all the messages at once in stead of one by one. And: they solved the mutating table problem (wow).

Worst part was triggers updating other tables, causing their triggers to fire and so on, even with loops to the starting tables......

So NO, I don't think this would be wise.....

Shakespeare Received on Fri Aug 31 2007 - 07:42:34 CDT