Re: Problem with lost archive logs

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:55:03 -0500

tsteege_at_gmail.com wrote:

> On Aug 30, 1:34 pm, "tste..._at_gmail.com" <tste..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> Not sure if this is the correct area to ask this question but it is a
>> start.
>>
>> First of all I am new to Oracle so forgive me for how basic I will be.
>>
>> We are running 9i on a 2003 server. Hard drive space is limited, and
>> of course filled up with archive logs. The all but one days worth of
>> logs were deleted using windows explorer. I found this out when my
>> Backup EXEC 11.d job crashed the following night.
>>
>> Now I don't have any idea on how to tell Oracle/backkupexec that they
>> are gone and to stop looking for them.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>> Terry
>
> Sorry I forgot to mention that the servers backup had not been running
> for a while, and I can not recover the logs.  Can I force Oracle to
> think a backup has been done and then start my backup running nightly?
>
> Thanks again.

How are you backing up your Oracle database? Are you just using Backup Exec? If so, then your backups are inconsistent and may not be usable for recovery. Have you tested recovery from these backups before? Backups are useless unless you can recover using them.

I would recommend implementing RMAN to do your backup to disk. Then have Backup Exec backup up the backup.

When you do a full backup of the Oracle database, you no longer need the archived redo logs generated before that backup. So you can remove them. RMAN can also be used to backup the archived redo logs and to delete them after they have been backed up.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net