Re: Couple of oracle questions

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:01:41 -0700

Comments embedded.
On Aug 24, 12:47 pm, chunj..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am NEW to the Oracle, and I have two questions here.
> 1. Let's say I am going to run a "select ... " sql, is there an easy
> way for me to set the format of the output? When I was using
> PostgreSQL, I can run a "/x" to have the output in vertical or
> horizontal format, is there a similar command in oracle ?

No.

> 2. For such "select ..." sql, how can I get the column name along with
> the output ?

Normally headers are enabled, providing the column name or alias you assign to a column value at the top of each 'page' of output:

SQL> select table_name from user_tables;

TABLE_NAME

And, normally the pagesize is set to 14, so you get a number of headers output for what would appear to be a 'normal' page of output. Using:

set pagesize 60

at the SQL> prompt (from SQL*Plus) will provide a more 'pagelike' output.

> I was using SQLPLUS on linux box.
>
> Thank you for the tips.
>
> Charlie.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Aug 24 2007 - 13:01:41 CDT