Re: Cannot delete system02.dbf file

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 08:59:43 -0700

Captain wrote:
> On Aug 20, 9:10 am, Helma <bad_elef..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>> On Aug 20, 9:09 am, Captain <captain_2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all gurus,
>>> I have personal oracle 8i on Win Xp.  starting to learn oracle 8i.
>>> By error created an extra system02.dbf file in personal oracle 8i
>>> using dba studio.
>>> Tried to delete system02.dbf using dba studio and it does allows to
>>> delete.
>>> I'm stuck and it is consuming lots of space in my computer.  Please
>>> help me to remove system02.dbf file.
>>> nat
>> You're starting to learn oracle 8i? Just now version 11 has been
>> released for download?
>>
>> FYI: It's not possible to safely remove the system02.dbf file.  You
>> may consider to freely download a newer version and install that one
>> instead.
>>
>> H.

> Helma,
> I understand 8i is there and do not have good speed for downloading,
> though will be downloading later.
> For practising have 8i for practice. Thus solving problem in 8i will
> help me in 11.
>
> nat

8i is essentially worthless trying to learn any current version of Oracle. Yes you can use it to learn some legacy SQL statements and to create legacy objects such as heap tables, B*Tree indexes, and constraints but that is a small fraction of learning Oracle.

But I must confess I am fascinated by one aspect of your post. If you are just learning 8i why would a file named system02.dbf even catch your attention and what would lead you to care? It wouldn't be an issue for me under any conditions I can think of other than if migrating to a new disk array.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington