Re: Long Sessions

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:40:24 -0500

pcarr01 wrote:
> Hi,
> We have an issue with the amount of time that a firewall will hold a
> session open.
> Currently we have 72 hours, this drives the security and network
> people crazy but we have a requirement for stuff like very long
> database queries, launch an ssh or sqlplus session onto an oracle box
> and the session expires before the query finishes and we lose the
> result, very bad when you are working on a problem at 3 in the
> morning
> and the Damages for not getting the database back up by 5 are in 6
> figures.
> How does the industry in general deal with this sort of issue?

In addition to what others have said, I'd ask your network guys to look at configuring your firewall to disconnect "idle" sessions instead of active ones. Our firewall does not disconnect active sessions but will terminate idle ones. This way, I do not have to worry about an active session from an app server to the db through the firewall. The firewall does not kill this session after 3 days.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net