Re: Long Sessions

From: pcarr01 <paddy.carroll_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:58:20 -0700

On Aug 19, 12:42 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 02:54:27 -0700,pcarr01<paddy.carr..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Appreciate the comments on performance but this isnt an oracle issue
> >its a network issue that affects oracle.
> >I was working on a problem that was exposed because Oracle 8 had known
> >issues with bitmapped indexes and that was what ruined the
> >performance, we were running queries and doing updates in a diagnostic
> >and recovery context that were not returning within an acceptable
> >timescale & if some network device had detected no activity then ..
> >bang .. query lost. There is no way I could have done this without
> >some sort of client session on the target platform be it ssh, plus80
> >or whatever.
>
> Ever heard of stored procedures? From your description you are
> misusing the network for something which *ought* to be serverside.
> The firewall is not the problem. Your code is.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Of course I have heard of stored procedures, have you ever read what was written "diagnostic and recovery context", I never write a stored procedure at 05:00 in the morning when I have been in the office all night trying to fix a problem, I will do it when I write an application or introduce some functionality. I am working on a database which is 300 miles away in a highly secure environment. Received on Sun Aug 19 2007 - 21:58:20 CDT