Re: Long Sessions

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:19:20 -0700

pcarr01 wrote:
> On Aug 18, 5:49 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> pcarr01 wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> We have an issue with the amount of time that a firewall will hold a
>>> session open.
>>> Currently we have 72 hours, this drives the security and network
>>> people crazy but we have a requirement for stuff like very long
>>> database queries, launch an ssh or sqlplus session onto an oracle box
>>> and the session expires before the query finishes and we lose the
>>> result, very bad when you are working on a problem at 3 in the
>>> morning
>>> and the Damages for not getting the database back up by 5 are in 6
>>> figures.
>>> How does the industry in general deal with this sort of issue?
>> A number of thoughts.
>>
>> The first parallels Sybrand's ... a 72 hour query is outrageous.
>> Get someone in to tune it.
>>
>> The second is that this query should not be running through the
>> firewall and be, in any manner, dependent upon the survival of
>> a session.
>>
>> Have the query report its output to a table and then log on later
>> to retrieve the resultset, then SELECT * FROM report_table, or use
>> a materialized view to produce the result set in the first place.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

> Appreciate the comments on performance but this isnt an oracle issue
> its a network issue that affects oracle.
> I was working on a problem that was exposed because Oracle 8 had known
> issues with bitmapped indexes and that was what ruined the
> performance, we were running queries and doing updates in a diagnostic
> and recovery context that were not returning within an acceptable
> timescale & if some network device had detected no activity then ..
> bang .. query lost. There is no way I could have done this without
> some sort of client session on the target platform be it ssh, plus80
> or whatever.
>
> I did ask the question on the firewall group.
>

> The question is

I've no doubt you believe what you just wrote but you are incorrect. A client connection is not required to run anything on Oracle, and once something is started, is not required to keep it running.

I have run reporting regimens that took 60 hours to complete using a database connection that lasted a fraction of a second.

If you are ready to put away your assumptions reconsider what I wrote.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington