Re: Long Sessions

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:49:29 -0700

pcarr01 wrote:
> Hi,
> We have an issue with the amount of time that a firewall will hold a
> session open.
> Currently we have 72 hours, this drives the security and network
> people crazy but we have a requirement for stuff like very long
> database queries, launch an ssh or sqlplus session onto an oracle box
> and the session expires before the query finishes and we lose the
> result, very bad when you are working on a problem at 3 in the
> morning
> and the Damages for not getting the database back up by 5 are in 6
> figures.
> How does the industry in general deal with this sort of issue?

A number of thoughts.

The first parallels Sybrand's ... a 72 hour query is outrageous. Get someone in to tune it.

The second is that this query should not be running through the firewall and be, in any manner, dependent upon the survival of a session.

Have the query report its output to a table and then log on later to retrieve the resultset, then SELECT * FROM report_table, or use a materialized view to produce the result set in the first place.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington