Sql Loader - Problem while loading french data

From: <pankaj_wolfhunter_at_yahoo.co.in>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:30:11 -0700

Greetings,

          We are involved in migration of data from DB2 to Oracle. We are facing some problem while loading some french data to oracle table's using sql loader.

Table (tb_test) structure:

desc TB_TEST

Name                           Null

Type
------------------------------ --------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COL1                        NOT NULL

NUMBER(10)
COL2
VARCHAR2(75)
COL3
VARCHAR2(50) Control File (test.ctl) Structure:

load data
CHARACTERSET WE8MSWIN1252
infile 'test1.dat'
into table TB_TEST
REPLACE
fields terminated by '~' optionally enclosed by '"' trailing NULLCOLS (
COL1 "TRANSLATE(COL1,'0123456789,','0123456789')" ,COL2
,COL3
)

Data file (test.dat) contents:

+11370.~Universityâs something Graduate School of Management~
+11710.~Faculdade Nacional de Ciências Econômicas da Universidade do
Japan~
+13771.~Trium (University â London School â HEC Paris)~

The above data is just a subset of a parent flat file. Actually these are the bad records which I get when loading parent flat file.

Problem here is when I try to load the whole parent file using sql loader,
I get the following error:

Record 47243: Rejected - Error on table TB_TEST, column COL2. ORA-12899: value too large for column
"SCHEMANAME"."TB_TEST"."COL2" (actual: 78, maximum: 75)

Out of the three records first two gets loaded and the last records gets rejected.

DB information:

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bi PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production

SELECT * FROM NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS

PARAMETER                      VALUE
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET         AL16UTF16
NLS_LANGUAGE                   AMERICAN
NLS_TERRITORY                  AMERICA
NLS_CURRENCY                   $
NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS         .,
NLS_CHARACTERSET               AL32UTF8
NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS           BYTE

Also, if I try to load these 3 records using sql loader separately into a
temp table with same structure as TB_TEST, it loads without any problems.

I am not able to figure out what is the exact problem here. Do i have to take into some special consideration while loading data other than english?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA Received on Thu Aug 16 2007 - 06:30:11 CDT