Re: standard and easy way to do schema design

From: <Summercoolness_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:37:30 -0700

On Aug 15, 4:08 am, Summercooln..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> let's say we are doing a website. the user can go over
> and type in the movie name and zipcode, and the website
> will return all the theaters showing that movie and at what
> time, for theaters in THAT zipcode only (for simplicity).

[i added the date to the Showings table below... because we want showtimes for today, or tomorrow, etc]

So let's say the problem is just that simple, without needing zipcode related information (such as the name of the district)...

We can write

Movies

   id
   title
   showtimes and in which theaters >>>>>>>    duration
   description

Theaters

   id
   name
   zipcode
   phone number
   address line 1
   address line 2
   movies showing there and their showtimes >>>>>>>>

and we put the ">>>>>>>>" for things that are "multiple items". (indicated by us writing it in plural, such as showtimes) and for any ">>>>>>>>" line, we will need to create a separate table, if that table doesn't already exist.

and for those ">>>>>>>>" lines, we will simply remove them from the original table.

so in our case, we create a new table

Showings

   movie_id
   theater_id
   movie start time
   movie show date

and remove those ">>>>>>>>" lines in the original tables "Movies" and "Theaters".

and that will complete the basic task? (assuming no future function is needed). Received on Wed Aug 15 2007 - 18:37:30 CDT