Q: columns seen in triggers

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 1 Aug 2007 15:27:34 -0800

I know from experience that at least in

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production

if a column is not included in an update statement and an update trigger sets the value of the column then the value provided by the trigger is not saved.

For the column value assigned by the trigger to be saved, the update has to include the column in the list of columns being set.

HOWEVER, I also know that the above is not always true. For example the query I am just looking at does not mention the WHEN_UPDATED column, but the value set by the trigger _is_ saved.

I am confused.

I wonder where the exact details of what is going on is documented.

If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it, thanks.

MDJ Received on Wed Aug 01 2007 - 18:27:34 CDT