Re: Crashed client application leaves Oracle connection behind

From: André Hartmann <andre.hartmann_at_hotmail.de>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:52:09 +0200

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1184593876.466208_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...
> SELECT schemaname, status FROM gv$session;
>
> What does Oracle see? Likely the behavior is exactly as documented.

  Okay, I performed the statement and I get a list of sessions labelled INACTIVE in the STATUS column. Some of those are still "good" in the sense that the client who established the session is still alive and could possibly perform SQL operations shortly. Other sessions are such that the corresponding client counter-part is gone.

  As a matter of fact I dont want to interfere with those session that still have an alive client, that would be like chopping their head off just because they didnt press a button while they were out for lunch... I find it hard to come up with criteria other than "the client is still alive", because take for example the last_call_et that was suggested. It is perfectly legal to be quiet for an hour or half a day even. What gives me the right to turn the connection down (and possibly destroy users' work) after a certain period of time...

  Is there no way to tell a dead client from an alive client? Since I see INACTIVE sessions for either case, that doesn't seem to be a good way of decisionmaking.

  The use case is that if a client crashed and left a runaway session (possibly with locks) behind, we want to enable the user quickly to continue with a new session, possibly within minutes. On the other hand a session not doing anything for quite some time is okay for as long as the client is still there. That's all said from the application architect's point of view... we are trying to figure out how to meet that the best possible way.