Re: "savepoint" feature

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 06:40:20 -0700

On Jul 13, 1:28 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:30:49 -0700, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org>
> wrote:
>

> >mike7..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> >> I am working with the "savepoint" feature in Oracle, and I noticed
> >> that a savepoint appears
> >> to get deleted when a commit occurs. I was wondering if these is an
> >> easy way to make
> >> a savepoint that will persist across commits.
>
> >> Any help is appreciated.
>
> >> Thank you.
>
> >In full agreement with Brian, Sybrand, and Mark but the issue here
> >is that instead of asking how to rollback past a commit you have
> >fixated on the wrong solution ... savpoints.
>
> >Take a look at Flashback Query, Flashback Table, Flashback Transaction,
> >and Flashback Version. One or more of them, in 10g, can be utilized to
> >do what you wish.
>
> I agree with you. While I do believe this can be done on ad-hoc basis,
> I don't believe this can be programmed, as it would involve changing
> the procedures he can't change.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA- Hide quoted text -

Mike, when you want to rollback the data to a savepoint is this just so you can see what the data looked like or do you actually need to undo the changes?

To just see the data you could use the flashback query feature Daniel mentioned, and while you could use this feature to recreate data that can be put back to the way it was effecively rolling back changes programatically, your ability to code such logic in such a manner as to guarentee logical data consistency is subject to question. This last should be in agreement with Sybrand's last point.

Any change you can copy the existing routines and remove the commits so that you can use this second version of the existing logic to perform your work?

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Jul 13 2007 - 08:40:20 CDT