Re: "savepoint" feature

From: <mike7411_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:28:57 -0700

On Jul 12, 1:05 pm, Brian Peasland <d..._at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote:
> mike7..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > I am working with the "savepoint" feature in Oracle, and I noticed
> > that a savepoint appears
> > to get deleted when a commit occurs. I was wondering if these is an
> > easy way to make
> > a savepoint that will persist across commits.
>
> > Any help is appreciated.
>
> > Thank you.
>
> A savepoint lets you roll back part of a transaction. Without a
> savepoint, the only option is to roll back the entire transaction. Once
> you commit the transaction, it can no longer be rolled back....in part
> nor in total. So it makes no sense to let you roll back to a savepoint
> in a committed transaction. This is not possible. If you think you need
> to rollback to that savepoint, then don't commit!
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> --

Unfortunately, I am calling into someone else's stored procedures, which have commits in them.

I am not allowed to modify their procedures to remove the commits. Is there any Oracle feature
that can be of help in this case? I may need to rollback after some unknown number of commits have
occurred. Received on Thu Jul 12 2007 - 15:28:57 CDT