Indexing a Point Cloud with OracleSpatial's R-Tree

From: JMecc <jmecc_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:59:51 -0700

>From what I can see in the documentation, oracle spatial 10g can store
polygons and simple shapes as an SDO_GEOMETRY object. Instead, I would like to store a point cloud; I have binary 3D matrices (all the same size) where an object is the collection of the 1's in the matrix. I'm not sure how to store this such that it is indexable by an R-tree for performance. I see there is a multipoint option in defining SDO_GEOMETRY, but it seems from http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/docs/oracle/10g/appdev.101/b10826/sdo_objrelschema.htm#i1004087 and others that it is just to use many points to define a complex polygon.

Am I on the right track with:

INSERT INTO RTreeTest VALUES (
  2,
  1,
  SDO_GEOMETRY (

     3005,      --3D,default LRS,multipoint
     NULL,
     NULL,
     SDO_ELEM_INFO_ARRAY(1,3005,1)
     SDO_ORDINATE_ARRAY(53,128,29, 54,128,29, .....)
  )
);

Is it possible with oracle spatial's built-in indices to index a 3D binary matrix?

Thanks,
Jo Received on Thu Jul 12 2007 - 11:59:51 CDT