Re: tool

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 06:15:07 -0700

On Jul 4, 8:52 am, "@Ste" <piletti-remo..._at_libero.it> wrote:
> Hello NG
> I'm looking for an oracle tool (or an external tool) able to call
> external procedures when someone modify a record in a table.
> The problem is that a program (not developed by me) makes changes in a
> table and I need to update a second database (and make other non db
> tasks) immediately after the record is written.
> Is this thing possible ?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> @Ste

If the other database is an Oracle database then it sounds like you could issue a distributed insert to the remote database table via a local instance table trigger. Everything you need to know to perform this task in this manner is covered in the DBA Administration Guide.

If the remote database is a non-Oracle database then your options become Generic Connectivity, the Oracle Gateway Product, or using either a purchased middleware product or rolling a middleware solution of your own. For anyone unfamilar with the term, middleware, refers to store and forward message passing systems. IBM offers a well known product whose name I cannot remember. TIBCO also competes in this market.

The solution could be as simple as a java program that opens both databases and extracts data from one table and inserts it into a table on the other end. The best solution will depend on your exact requirements and the choice will probably consider the time and cost of each of your options.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Jul 04 2007 - 08:15:07 CDT