Re: php/apache/oracle

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:22:47 +1000

Pauly says...

> > > Would anybody have a good idea of the pros and cons of using php on an
> >
> > as compared to what alternative
>
> As compared to Tomcat/Java/Oracle or IIS/C#/Oracle

Horses for courses. We run both Tomcat/Java/Oracle and Apache/PHP/AdoDB/Oracle and both have their pros and cons.

PHP pros: Simple code, easy to develop and deploy PHP cons: Weak object model

> > > Apache server to connect to and run queries on an Oracle database. The
> > > database concerns mostly with genetic data. Therefore, the queries can
> > > be pretty complex and time-consuming (millions of rows on large number
> > > of tables).
> >
> > One possible problem is network timeout while LONG running SQL to return.
>
> Yes, you are right. But in this case I am not sure I have control over
> it.

PHP has an adjustable timeout setting. You might also have issues with max_file_size in both PHP and Apache.

> > > I am also concerned about concurrent queries
> >
> > Don't worry about concurrent queries.
>
> Why do you think I shouldn't be concerned with that?

No more of a concern in three-tier than in client/server.

> > > and am
> > > inclined to implement connection pooling so that time can be saved on
> > > the creation of new connections to the db every time a query is fired.
> > > Anybody with experience on this? Thanks!

We use the AdoDB library to assist with persistent connections, an advantage of it with Oracle/PHP over some other database abstraction layers is that it least supports bind variables.

Geoff M Received on Mon Jul 02 2007 - 18:22:47 CDT