Re: simple sql using between startnumber and endnumber not performing

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 29 Jun 2007 13:53:09 -0800

Frank van Bortel (frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com) wrote:

: Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:
: >
: > table X
: > startnumber NUMBER
: [snip]
: > index on all four columns
: >
: > SELECT *
: > FROM X
: > WHERE '3131' BETWEEN start_helper and end_helper

: Not using index - implicit conversion - BAD!

Ok, that should be a number, I simply cut/pasted the original text of the question above that.

The issue of trying get a useful index out of two columns of numbers will still be the same.

(And yes, I understand that this may not be an issue here, but I've pointed out the user needs to experiment to be sure, and the double column number index is a thing I have had to deal with in the past, so I know that at least some of the time, in the past, this was an issue.) Received on Fri Jun 29 2007 - 16:53:09 CDT