Re: using oracle client in C++ with Visual Studio 2005

From: laurent <laurentoget_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:36:58 -0000

On Jun 27, 7:56 am, "Martin T." <bilbothebagginsb..._at_freenet.de> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 6:07 pm, laurent <laurento..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 26, 11:42 am, sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > (snip)
>
> > i have a complete client. i actually tried a few of them. Instant
> > client and the one delivered with oracle XE both include a dll
> > (OCI.dll) which depends on the wrong version of the miscrosoft
> > runtime library, and cause random failures of my application, when an
> > object allocated by the old runtime gets freed in the new runtime. My
> > application builds and runs most of the time but random crashes are a
> > show stopper.
>
> > Laurent
>
> Thats why you don't allocate memory in one module and deallocate it in
> another.

this is hard to do when a library returns a pointer to an object it has allocated for you.

> If the OCI.dll needs this, then it's a crappy interface. (Yes, I know,
> not very helpful here, sorry.)
> Maybe you can come up with a workaround where the memory stuff is kept
> to each module.

working around stupid APIs is becoming the main part of my job since the powers that be decided microsoft and oracle were the way to go.

> You could post a few code snippets, maybe we find a path to the
> light :-)
>
> cheers,
> Martin

 I was hoping to use OTL, which gives me an agnostic layer on top of different vendors' client libraries.... Received on Wed Jun 27 2007 - 11:36:58 CDT