Re: Spool in SQL*Plus without SQL statments

From: <jreinert13_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:08:28 -0700

On Jun 23, 12:03 pm, William Robertson <williamr2..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 7:53 pm, jreiner..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I thought set echo off accomplished this but now I'm just completely
> > lost and fustrated (I don't even know what it does in SQP*Plus
> > anymore..setting it on and off does nothing anymore).
> > every search attempt I've made has been futile (which rarely
> > happens...)
>
> I'm puzzled. Wasn't this clear enough?
>
> http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14357/ch1...
>
> SET ECHO {ON | OFF}
>
> Controls whether or not to echo commands in a script that is executed
> with @, @@ or START. ON displays the commands on screen. OFF
> suppresses the display. ECHO does not affect the display of commands
> you enter interactively or redirect to SQL*Plus from the operating
> system.

You're puzzled? It isn't too hard to understand (for most people). I thought turning echo 'off' worked like it does in every other command line language...and in practice it seemed to be working that way. Don't pretend that it isn't a little weird, from a programmers perspective at least, it applies to the '@', '@@', START commands only. Good specificity though, I will admit.

Hopefully the point of this post, other than attempting to ridicule me, was to point out how the oracle documentation would have been helpful. For that I apologize.

Oh and to get rid of the column heading underline I asked about earlier its:

'set underline off'

oddly enough it wasn't in the setting lists I looked at (Looked on the web; not oracle docs though). Received on Tue Jun 26 2007 - 09:08:28 CDT