Re: Spool in SQL*Plus without SQL statments

From: <jreinert13_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:29:23 -0700

On Jun 22, 4:00 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2:32 pm, jreiner..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> > > Put this in a file and run it from the SQL> prompt with the
> > > @<scriptname> syntax:
>
> > > set linesize 1000
> > > set heading on
> > > set feedback off
> > > set echo off
> > > set trimspool off
> > > set colsep ','
> > > set termout off
> > > set newpage none
>
> > > select pet_priceid as Price, location
> > > from pet_price
> > > where pet_priceid > 897800
>
> > > spool C:\output.csv
> > > /
> > > spool off
>
> > > For example, you save the above text in a file named myqry.sql. At
> > > the SQL*Plus prompt you would:
>
> > > SQL> @myqry
>
> > > SQL> exit
>
> > > You now have a 'sort of' csv file,of your query output, which includes
> > > headings (so, I'm a snob and won't consider any file with headings a
> > > CSV file). If you really want a csv file:
>
> > > set linesize 1000
> > > set heading off
> > > set feedback off
> > > set echo off
> > > set trimspool off
> > > set colsep ','
> > > set termout off
> > > set newpage none
>
> > > select pet_priceid,''"||location||'"'
> > > from pet_price
> > > where pet_priceid > 897800
>
> > > spool C:\output.csv
> > > /
> > > spool off
>
> > > You'll end up with an actual csv file (in my opinion), with your text
> > > surrounded in "" and without any cluttered headings. (Flame away, all
> > > who feel inclined. I have my opinions.)
>
> > > As far as I know the only way you can rid yourself of the dreaded
> > > pseudo-underline is to edit the resulting text file with sed, awk, or
> > > vi.
>
> > > David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

> > In regards to the '\' solution. It helps in reducing the amount of
> > text but I'll just end up getting a
> > SQL>\
> > at the top of my file.
> > and of course the
> > SQL>spool off
> > at the bottom.
>
> > I can't have this. On top of this, I didn't have this issue until
> > today.- Hide quoted text -

> Then what changed? Obviously something did, and either you're not
> reporting it here or you don't know exactly what was altered. You
> need to discover what may have been modified.
>
> David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

Nothing changed in my code. The only difference was I was doing all the code I wrote above in SQL*Plus as opposed to saving it in a .sql file and running that file through SQL*Plus. I didn't 'report' this because I would never imagine it to make a difference.

Someone, without explaination, in another thread I searched suggested to run it through a file. This has helped me somewhat (but now I can't get the column headers to appear). Received on Fri Jun 22 2007 - 15:29:23 CDT