Re: Problem with importing a database with national (Polish) characters

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 05:41:59 -0700

On Jun 21, 2:29 pm, "majster" <majs..._at_majster.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your answer.
>

> > The problem is
> > > import done in WE8ISO8859P1 character set and *AL16UTF16* **NCHAR**
> character set
> > > export server uses *WE8ISO8859P1* **NCHAR** character set (possible
> ncharset
> > > conversion)
>
> > Your Oracle 9i database has an incorrect NCHAR characterset (NON-UTF)
>
> What solution to the problem would you recommend? We are new to Oracle (we
> used MSSQL before), and the source database is legacy and "as-is". We would
> just like to import it correctly.
>
> DW.

It looks like the procedure is described here http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96529/ch10.htm#1010387

The description seems to be a bit shaky. What I would do is set up export tables with the PK of the original table and the NCHAR columns of the original tables. Only then you would be able to 'drop' those columns. This link also describes the procedure to change the NCHAR set of your 9i database, which needs to happen anyway, as your current characterset is not supported.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA