Re: Instantclient on *nix

From: Alexander Semke <Alexander.Semke_at_physik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:25:22 +0200

joel garry wrote:

>http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14357/ape.htm#sthref4009

> I think I've also done it with a direct connect but can't remember
> exactly, I think because it was so trivially easy.
Thank you for the link. You need TNS_ADMIN and you also need TWO_TASK if you want to connect to a remote server. To first variable I was pointed by David. The information about the second one was given in your link (and somewhere else).
Trivial for me is just to specify the connection settings (host, port, database name, user name, password) in the source code without editing an ascii-file and without setting a dozen of variables in my environment. This trivial procedure, I was used to from other DB servers, I also naively expected from oracle. I'm new to oracle and this crap took me a lot of time. It wasn't even mentioned in the installation instruction for the instant client...

Thank you a lot again.

Alexander Semke. Received on Thu Jun 14 2007 - 05:25:22 CDT