Re: Upper, Longvarchar and RTF text

From: Wazusa Blong <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 06:41:13 -0700

Comments embedded.
On Jun 12, 4:56 am, Sonnich Jensen <sonnich.jen..._at_jotautomation.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have this: select * from blaaah and upper(somefield) like '%EPLACED
> %'

I'm hoping this is a typographical error and you simply missed pasting the WHERE clause ...

> somefield is of type LongVarchar, and contains text in RTF format.
> We are looking for the text "Replaced", which in most cases is "R\f1
> eplaced".

My guess is this is a LONG datatype, as LongVarchar does not exist as a type.

> The upper should help us out, for both "upper" and "like" I get an
> errors: expexted NUMBER got LONG.
> It is a longvarchar.
> Even select upper( the field) will cause that problem.

Yes, LONG does not behave as one might expect given the data it contains. You'll need to convert this text to a varchar2 before you can use upper() or
substr(). I would be looking into writing some PL/SQL code to do this. If I remember correctly asktom.oracle.com has examples of this.

David Fitzjarrell