Re: float storage

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_mro.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 15:38:20 -0400

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:56:42 -0700, Wazusa Blong <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net> wrote:

>On Jun 7, 10:05 am, Jeff Kish <jeff.k..._at_mro.com> wrote:
>> <snip>

<snip>
>NUMBER() can be declared with or without a scale, as illustrated. The
>column being 'moved' from NUMBER to FLOAT requires that the precision
>be reduced to allow for additional scale; that the existing data may
>meet the maximum precision declared for the current definition is why
>you can't simply perform an ALTER TABLE to enact this change on a
>populated column.
>
>The documentation explains this.
>

>David Fitzjarrell

thanks.
yeah I was confused because the docs (oracle 9i sql reference) state: "Specify a floating-point number using the following form:

NUMBER The absence of precision and scale designators specifies the maximum range and precision for an Oracle number."

I appreciate the clarification.
I just don't know what the max size or precision we'll need is going to be, so I wanted to get a pretty large capacity for both. Jeff Kish Received on Thu Jun 07 2007 - 14:38:20 CDT