Re: oracle 10g installation - access not permitted?

From: jgar the jorrible <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:35:34 -0700

On Jun 7, 2:53 am, "Charles T. Smith" <cts.priv..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:42:31 +0200, Charles T. Smith wrote:

> >> And my suggestion to run this script in my post on 5/31/07 was just
> >> ignored? In that post, I said, "Did you run the root.sh script as 'root'
> >> at the end of your install process?"
>
> >> Interesting......
>
> > Sorry, I appreciate your helping me. The exact explanation of how your
> > correct answer fell through the cracks is as follows - your response was:
>
> >> Did you run the root.sh script as 'root' at the end of your install
> >> process?
>
> >> Try running the $ORACLE_HOME/install/change_perm.sh shell script to see
> >> if that fixes the problem.
>
> > I pursued the second one, but there was no such change_perm.sh:
>
> > 04~/product/10.2.0/Db_1/install>cd $ORACLE_HOME/install
> > 04~/product/10.2.0/Db_1/install>find . -name change\*
> > 04~/product/10.2.0/Db_1/install>
>
> > I guess I freudianly overlooked the first one because: - it seemed too
> > scary
> > - I still can't understand how it didn't happen, because the install
> > script waits for that step to be completed before proceeding. I guess I
> > must have become sidetracked while finding a root window and forgot ...
>
> > Seeing as I got two high-quality answers to run the root.sh script, I am
> > embolden to do so.
>
> That is, to rerun it

OK, here is what you need to do in order to "read the installation instructions."

  1. Read the installation guide.
  2. Read metalink Note:316900.1 ALERT: Oracle 10g Release 2 (10.2) Support Status and Alerts
  3. That will lead you to Note:316901.1 10.2.0.1 Base Release - Availability and Known Issues. Under "Upgrade Issues," you will see a reference to 4516865+ Wrong permissions after install of 10gR2 (10.2.0.1), where '+' indicates a particularly notable issue / bug.
  4. Clicking on that 4516865 link gives a brief overview of what to do about it. In this case, you can drill down to the bug details if you desire.
  5. You should patch beyond the base version, so you need to repeat the process for each patch. This presumbably would clue you in to the changeperm issue, which is not fixed in 10.2.0.2 (also noted with a careful reading of bug 4516865).
  6. The opening of permissions is an optional postinstallation task. This is noted in the patch set notes.
  7. Read the installation guide again.

This also highlights the necessity of always stating in detail the exact versions of everything. Your problem is fixed in 10.2.0.3.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Dissed and Dumped from Dizwell!