Re: oracle 10g installation - access not permitted?

From: Charles T. Smith <cts.private_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:41:24 +0200

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 16:05:05 +0200, Charles T. Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 06:41:17 -0700, sybrandb wrote:

>> And please stop whining and complaining about things you don't like
>> and/or willfully misinterpret.

> :) Okay, I'll stop whining. Bo ho. And willfully misinterpreting, in
> order to needless consume network bandwidth. And even try to keep the
> provocations to a minumum - but the assertion - your assertion - has a bug
> in it:

> Oh, okay, you've got a caveat there with "normal server installations" - I
> could never prove that one, I guess. (and actually, I appreciate knowing
> that *anyone can connect to Oracle*, so your contribution wasn't worthless
> ... assuming it's a statement of fact and not a statement of faith).

Not clear, sorry. The assertion has a bug in it because those 3 points don't have anything to do with the fact that sqlplus is not executable in the case that I've explained in the original posting:

> I have installed oracle 10g on solaris 10. In order to get started, I
> want to run sqlplus. That's in
> /export/home/oracle/product/10.2.0/Db_1/bin - but it turns out that all
> of product, 10.2.0, Db_1 have permissions disabled for users (e.g.
> drwxrwx---, with group oinstall).

> Did I not finish the installation properly? Or am I supposed to enable
> the permissions manually? Does anybody know how to use sqlplus?

As far as my suggestion at one point that there might be a bug in the Oracle procedure - I think it was clear that I thought that unlikely. But to suggest that it is *ridiculous* brings images of exploding space shuttles to mind. Received on Mon Jun 04 2007 - 10:41:24 CDT