Re: oracle 10g installation - access not permitted?

From: Charles T. Smith <cts.private_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:17:48 +0200

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 04:14:08 -0700, sybrandb wrote:

> On Jun 4, 11:36 am, "Charles T. Smith" <cts.priv..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 21:00:26 +0200, Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Most likely you just either didn't read the installation instructions at
> all and/or didn't follow them up to the letter.

Yes, that's most likely. The question is, which installation instructions? As I switched back and forth between the 4 different ones I downloaded from the webpage (two different ones each for normal and quick installs) - trying to find the various instructions that best fit my situation, it might very well be that I overlooked something.

I was hoping somebody would be able to recognize quickly what it was...

> ... Normal server
> installations don't need an extra client. PERIOD
>... On normal server
> installations anyone can connect to Oracle, provided a) the setuid bit
> of several executables has been set

The setuid bit doesn't help if the directory in which sqlplus resides is not accessible.

> b) $ORACLE_HOME/bin is in your $PATH

I can't even use an absolute pathname.

> c) you have access to a tnsnames.ora

yes.

So, there's a bug in this assertion, at any rate ... ;) Received on Mon Jun 04 2007 - 08:17:48 CDT