Re: Need help importing / exporting a schema

From: Blake McBride <blake_at_mcbride.name>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:23:51 GMT

On 3-Jun-2007, "Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Blake McBride" <blake_at_mcbride.name> wrote in
> > I don't know what CBT is and I am not looking for complete training of
> > anything.
> > I did spend a bunch of time in the docs looking for the three SIMPLE
> > things I
> > am looking for with no luck. To-date you haven't even told me how to
> > do the type of export
> > I am looking for. All other databases I've ever used take one simple
> > command to dump the
> > entire schema to a text file. I found no reference to this anywhere
> > in the docs.
> > This has got to be a simple thing. I just need to know the secret
> > command.
>
> AFAIK, there is no such "secret command".
> You should NOT extrapolate previous experience on other DBs to Oracle.
> Oracle supports many more different data type than some/many/most other
> DBs.
>
> Here is 1 simple example why "simple" data loading can get complicated.
> When a PK/FK relationship exist, the table with the PK must be loaded
> before the table with the FK can be loaded.
> Expand this to include SYNONYM, GRANT, TRIGGER & other data type it can
> be a non-trival operation.

The dump would contain all the create table commands first, then the primary keys, indexes, foreign keys, etc. Done in this order there is no problem with dependencies. Also, if a database only contains string and numeric columns then exporting and importing in text based SQL commands works fine. The main reason I can see why Oracle won't provide text SQL schemas is to make it maximally difficult to change databases.

Without a schema dump I can't keep an Oracle schema in sync with a postgres schema. I have my own program to do this (works with MSSQL & Postgres) but depends on a textual SQL schema file. This presents a significant problem for me.

Blake McBride Received on Sun Jun 03 2007 - 12:23:51 CDT