Re: Primary Key of type string ?

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_SHOESyahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:14:31 -0400

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Thu, 31 May 2007 13:41:01 +0200, Robert Klemme wrote:
>

>> And I thought the standard choice would be the key dictated by business
>> requirements...

> Question: do you like to have composite, possible lengthy foreign keys
> in all of your tables?
> One usually ends up with a surrogate key.
> And NO those shouldn't be varchar2(31)
> (Regrettably this is a real world example in a commercial
> application).

I think my favorite example is a table with a 6 field primary key, one of which is a timestamp. And yes, there are foreign keys that reference it.

No, I didn't design it. I'm not going to embarrass the software vendor, but everyone here has heard of them.

//Walt Received on Fri Jun 01 2007 - 12:14:31 CDT