Re: What is Oracle Pro*C?

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 00:34:09 +0200

On 31 May 2007 14:31:21 -0700, Artificer <eliezerfigueroa_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I am little confused: Is Oracle Pro*C a product or just a library that
>I can use from any C/C++ compiler or something else? Where can I find
>training for it?

Oracle Pro*C is a so-called Host Language Interface. It allows you to write SQL in C without the administrative chores. It consists of a precompiler (translating your Pro*C code in ordinary C) and a library. Documentation for Pro*C is of course at http://tahiti.oracle.com and demos come with every release of the RDBMS product. In most recent versions Pro*C is on the companion CD.

That said, especially if your client platform is Windows, you may be better off with ODP.NET. Pro*C however is platform independent.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA