How to get data into Oracle over a mediocre network connection

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 31 May 2007 08:39:32 -0700

Greetings!
[Oracle 9i2, Windows XP]

We are trying to automate the maintainance of some application texts for a db-app. The DB is located overseas, so the network connection is rather slow (compared to LAN/local).

The texts we're talking about is some 5000 updates or about 1MB of data.
(Copying this amount over the net does take about one minute.) However, we are unable to come up with a solution where we can load these into the DB in a finite amount of time. (Running it on the local test-db takes a few seconds)
*) SQL script with 5000 updates ... takes forever. (read: hours)
*) Grouping the updates into a PL/SQL block ... takes forever.
*) Working with a intermediate table-dump and exp/imp ... takes
forever.
*) Currently trying SQLLoader ...

Are we using the right tool(s)?
Do I have to tweak some Oracle Connection settings to make it work?

thanks for any tips!
br,
Martin Received on Thu May 31 2007 - 10:39:32 CDT